Isaac Adkins Heirs Deed to Isaiah Adkins (1855)


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Isaac Adkins Heirs to Isaiah Adkins Deed 1

Deed Book ___, page 447, Logan County Clerk’s Office, Logan, WV. Note: This property is located in present-day Lincoln County.

Isaac Adkins Heirs to Isaiah Adkins Deed 2

Deed Book ___, page 448, Logan County Clerk’s Office, Logan, WV. Note: Isaiah Adkins is my great-great-great-great-grandfather.

Teachers in 1896 (1937)


, , , , ,

From the Logan Banner of Logan, WV, comes this bit of history about U.S. teachers in 1896. The story is dated April 7, 1937.

Writer in 1896 Declared Teachers Earned No More Than Cobblers, Milliners

School teachers’ pay in 1896 assumed as prominent a place in public problems as it does today. The difference in the problem is in that the teachers of 1896 were said to receive about as much pay as milliners and cobblers while today they probably receive less.

But this is not an editorial.

A clipping from Forum in 1896 showed that teachers’ salaries ranged from $100 to $900 a year. The Forum writer wondered how the teachers could live on such a small amount. He’d be in a deeper quandary today.

The average salary for a school year amounted to approximately $318.36 for men and $262.92 for women. Duties included cleaning the schools and building the fires. The writer said these duties were not always considered hardships by the persons who took the jobs, the women having always been accustomed to such duties and the men didn’t find it hard because they could always induce students to perform the tasks for certain favors.

Nearly three times as many women teachers than men were employed in the country schools in the United States at that time. The percentage was higher in the country than in the city.

The teachers instructed their one roomful of children in all branches of learning up to grammar and algebra, the writer said.

He also said that “for what these teachers do they are quite adequately paid.” That wouldn’t apply today.

“A village schoolmaster will earn as much in the year as the cobbler; the schoolmistress will earn as much as the milliner,” the Forum scribe said.

“They do not belong as a general thing to a class better educated than the cobbler or milliner (remember, this was 1896) and they do not work any harder, the writer declared.

Here’s where he warms up a bit and applies to 1937.

“Those of them who have thought about their calling and who have ever been moved to feel that great responsibilities devolved upon them have realized that the conditions were such that they could not do next to nothing, and usually they have given over any efforts to secure a change in school administration.”

Fact for fact and condition for condition there is only a small change in the country schools left after many of them were consolidated. Consolidation was a boon to the country, but 41 years have passed and many teachers are still underpaid and have to teach under intolerable conditions.

Levi Collins Deed to Anderson Barker (1853)


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Levi Collins to Anderson Barker Deed 1

Deed Book __, page 471, Logan County Clerk’s Office, Logan, WV. This property is located in present-day Lincoln County.

Levi Collins to Anderson Barker Deed 2

Deed Book __, page 471, Logan County Clerk’s Office, Logan, WV.

Recollections of Tom Brown about Timbering on Big Sandy River (1979)


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

The following interview excerpt of Tom Brown (born c.1909) was conducted at Fort Gay in Wayne County, WV, on December 15, 1979.


It was probably hard to get around back then, to go to church.

Well the only way you could get around through this country was up and down creeks or on horseback or wagon. And roads were in the creek most of the way. And where they cut timber and logs they had tram roads built back in the heads of the hollows and they had tracks–they built their track out of 2″ X 4″s–and they hauled these logs or ties from the mills back to the heads of the hollows back to the railroads. And they logged out of the mountains and they ran lots of rafts down Tug River. I’ve see high as four to five. They started the rafts running in the spring. They run them out of Mingo County and generally a lot of them was set out in Naugatuck.

That’s how they got them, they used rafts and boats?

Yes, they used rafts. Logs. They’d put these logs together… Sometimes a raft would be maybe 200 or 300 feet long.

200 or 300 feet long?

Almost as wide as the river. The man would stay on that and they’d pull the men to, I guess, Kenova and the Ohio River down here. And they would log them through the winter. The spring waters came and they started down the rivers with the rafts. The river banks were all cut clean.

That’s what I was going to ask you about. They had to be cut clean, didn’t they?

Yes, they was all cut clean. But the rafts… Well they ran logs down Twelve Pole Creek to… Back then people used to put their logs in the creek when it would raise and run them plumb out down Twelve Pole to Kenova. Heads of these creeks… And sometimes I can remember Bragg Creek and Horse Creek… They was a sawmill. There was locks in at Saltpeter and they pushed just like water to Bragg Creek. I’d say along 1916-1917. And almost the travel was boats. It went down on a little showboat. It used to come up an old paddle wheel boat.

That was in about 1917?

About 1917, ’18, ’19, along that.

Could you get a ride on that showboat if you wanted to?

No, they just pulled in and parked and had a show every night, like the picture show, the movie picture show had.

How long did that showboat go up and down the river? How many years did that last?

Well, I don’t know. It would just come up every once in a while maybe, and just stopped at certain places maybe. Places you know at that time… That was about as far as it could get up. And then things was brought up on pushboat. They loaded ties and stuff like that. I remember them loading them on the boat at the river at the mouth of Horse Creek. It was about as far as boats could come up the river.

Stone Branch 08.24.1923


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

A correspondent named “Three Pals” from Stone Branch in Logan County, West Virginia, offered the following news, which the Logan Banner printed on August 24, 1923:

We are sorry to say that Chester Curtis is on the sick list.

Mrs. McKenzie and Mrs. Smith were calling on Mrs. Williamson Sunday evening.

Mrs. Stiltner and Mrs. McComas were calling on Mrs. Stiltner Sunday.

Martha Roberts has gone to Ohio to pay her mother a visit.

Mrs. Bledsoe was calling on Mrs. Roberts Saturday.

Miss Norma Saunders and Miss Pearl Mabblie have gone to Cincinnati.

Sherman Hobbs and Ross Smith were seen going down the road Saturday.

Mr. Stiltner and Mr. Smith sure do enjoy going to lodge.

Mr. McKenzie and Mr. Marshall were seen going down the road Saturday.

Miss Nella McKenzie was calling on Miss Nellie Stiltner Saturday night.

Miss Rubie Lucas and Miss Sadie Ferguson were the dinner guests of Miss Nellie McKenzie.

Mrs. Rebecca McKenzie called on Mrs. Little Sunday evening.

Some combinations–Boyd and his slop bucket; Gracie and her bonnet; Nellie and her cretonne dress; Sadie and her wrist watch; Rebecca and her silk dress; Mrs. Smith and her milk pail; Ruben and his wagon; Nellie and her silk dress; Gracie and her hair net; Nannie and her business course; Bob Ferrell and his cat; Frank and his milk pail; Lee and his dog.

Mrs. Little was calling on Mrs. McKenzie Sunday evening.

Mrs. Bessie Dean of Braeholm was calling on Mrs. Ferguson.

Big Creek News 09.12.1924


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

A unknown correspondent from Big Creek in Logan County, West Virginia, offered the following news, which the Logan Banner printed on September 12, 1924:

Big Creek is still on the go-go-go.

A large crowd attended the basket meeting on North Fork Sunday.

One of our Big Creek boys, Mr. Tom Vance was injured badly by falling from a telephone pole Sunday.

Mrs. Linnie Workman of this place is moving to Stone Branch.

Mr. Cecil Hager and Miss Nannie Lilly attended the basket meeting Sunday.

Mr. Charles Harmon and Miss Mobley were seen talking once more.

Mrs. Nannie Mobley is purchasing her a new home in Huntington.

Mr. Cecil Hager will leave for Logan September 12, where he will take up clerking in the Guyan Valley Drug store. Won’t Nannie be lonesome.

Miss Susie Harmon left for Huntington Sunday to attend school.

Mr. Wert Ellis and Georgia Thomas were seen out car riding Sunday.

Daily happenings–Pearl S. and drug store; Bill and his keys; Oran and his straw stack; Pearl going to see Tom; Mae and her sweetie; Gladys and her traveling case; Nannie and her dust; Cecil and his Lollipop; Lucile and her slippers; Susie and her chewing gum; Nealin and the chickens; Norma and her Gray; Myrtle and her sun grins.

Henry Adkins Deed to Elizabeth Adkins et al (1870)


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Henry Adkins to Elizabeth Adkins 2

Deed Book 59, page 269, Lincoln County Clerk’s Office, Hamlin, WV. Henry Adkins (c.1811-c.1873) was the son of Isaac and Elizabeth (Adkins) Adkins.

Henry Adkins to Elizabeth Adkins 3

Deed Book 59, page 270, Lincoln County Clerk’s Office, Hamlin, WV.

World War I Statue in Logan, WV (1928)


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

From the Logan Banner of Logan, WV, comes this bit of history about the World War I statue now located at Hatfield/Midelburg Island:


Soldier Monument Dedication Nov. 11

Granite Figure of Doughboy Will Be Set Up This Week, Minotti Says

The $6,000 granite doughboy memorial to World War veterans, the erection of which is being sponsored by Pete Minotti of this city, will be placed on the base near the west Court House entrance sometime during the next three days.

Word was received here by Mr. Minotti that the monument had been shipped from Chicago Monday and that it would arrive in Logan sometime tomorrow. Mr. Minotti said that the figure would be placed on the base and all the work completed this week.

Dedication will be held Sunday afternoon, November 11, at 2 o’clock. The American Legion of this city will have charge of the ceremonies to which the public is invited.

Boy scouts of the community are busy selling tags to help defray expenses of purchasing and erecting the monument. The doughboy figure is larger than life size, being seven feet tall. The figure depicts an American soldier carrying a rifle in one hand and throwing a bomb with the other hand. He is pictured as in the midst of a barb wire entanglement.

Logan (WV) Banner, 30 October 1928


8 Tons of Granite In New Monument to Logan Soldiery

Seventeen thousand pounds of Vermont granite will surmount the concrete base of the monument now being erected in the Court House yard. Atop the granite blocks will be placed a seven-foot statue representing an American doughboy carrying a rifle and bomb poised for throwing.

The monument will be 19 feet high, says Pete Minotti, local contractor, who is backing and taking the leading part in providing a suitable memorial for Logan county’s heroic dead. The base will be hidden by an earthen mound or terrace on all four sides.

Dedication of this memorial will be the feature of this year’s celebration of the signing of the Armistice on November 11.

Logan (WV) Banner, 2 November 1928


Arrange Plans for Unveiling of Statue

Plans for the dedication of the new monument to the memory of World War participants, living and dead, will be completed at a special meeting of the local post, American Legion, at the Court House Dugout Thursday night at 7:30.

The unveiling and dedicatory services are set for 2 o’clock Sunday afternoon, Armistice day. Pete Minotti, originator of the plan and the donor of the monument, will make the presentation. Formal acceptance will be by M.D. (Tony) Kendall, a leading legionnaire of the city. There will be other addresses and vocal numbers by Mrs. Madge Adkins, popular and talented singer.

Boy Scouts will aid the Legion men in carrying out an appropriate program of exercises.

Logan (WV) Banner, 6 November 1928


Monument to Soldiers Ready For Unveiling

Exercises to be Held at Court House at 2:00 O’clock Sunday Afternoon

Minotti is Moving Spirit

Huntington Educator Will Deliver Address–Flag-Raising Comes First

On the tenth anniversary of the signing of the Armistice, Logan county soldiers who paid the supreme price will be honored by their kinsfolk and the citizens of the county when the Pete Minotti memorial is unveiled Sunday afternoon at two o’clock.

The memorial, a fine bronze reproduction of a doughboy mounted on a suitable granite base, was erected near the western entrance to the Court House during the first part of this week and by tomorrow evening everything will be in complete readiness for the dedication exercise.

The American Legion will have charge of the services with the Boy Scouts and several others assisting. The Boy Scouts will conduct a flag-raising just before the unveiling exercises.

The dedicatory address will be delivered by C.L. Wright, superintendent of Huntington schools and a brilliant orator. These exercises will be opened with prayer by Rev. Robert F. Caverlee. Pete Minotti, whose generosity and whose love for his–adopted–country have made this memorial possible, will make the presentation speech. Thereupon the unveiling will take place, with Misses Scotty McDonald, Margaret McNemar, Lorena Greever, Doris Bradley and Betty Davin and James Greever participating. Formal acceptance will be made by M.B. Kendall, commander of Fifth district, department of West Virginia, American Legion. Salute and taps will be followed by benediction by Rev. A.F. Benjamin.

This monument, costing $6,000, is 19 feet high.

A bronze name plate at the statue’s base has inscribed across the top the dates, “1917-1918,” and underneath are the names of the 39 Logan County World War veterans killed, mortally wounded or fatally afflicted by disease while in service. At the bottom is the name, “Pete Minotti Memorial,” and the date, “1928.” The American Legion crest is also on the plate.

Logan (WV) Banner, 13 November 1928


Big Concourse At Dedication of Monument

Dr. M.P. Shawkey Delivers Eloquent, Patriotic Address At Sunday’s Exercises

P. Minotti the Generous

Presents Memorial to Legion Post as Custodian–Flag-Raising Ceremony

Logan county paid tribute Sunday to a long list of its heroic dead sleeping in foreign and native soil when hundreds of people witnessed the dedication of the monument to the memory of the warriors who fell in the World War.

The Pete C. Minnotti memorial depicting a khaki-clad doughboy hurling a grenade amid barb wire entanglements was dedicated with fitting ceremonies on the eleventh Armistice Day. Dr. M.P. Shawkey, president of Marshall College, delivered the address. C.L. Wright, superintendent of the Huntington schools, who was unable to be present because of illness, was scheduled to deliver the address and Dr. Shawkey filled his place.

In his presentation speech Mr. Minotti reminded the people that the memorial was erected so that people passing by hurriedly in the pursuit of riches might glance up at the soldier figure and remember the boys who fell fighting for freedom and democracy. Mr. Minotti said that he convicted the idea of erecting some memorial to the dead soldiers last summer as he journeyed through his native land, Italy, and in every city and hamlet, no matter how small, the people had erected some kind of a memorial to their dead heroes.

Generous and Patriotic

“Adjoining counties had honored their soldiers and it was time that Logan county honor their dead with a fitting memorial,” said Mr. Minotti.

During the last two months Mr. Minotti, through the cooperation of the American Legion, has been busy planning for and erecting the monument that now graces the Court House lawn near the western entrances. This generous donor, an Italian by birth and an American by choice, was born at Favaro, Italy, October 22, 1885. He came to Logan county 22 years ago and since that time Logan has been his home.

The monument was accepted by A.D. Collins, commander of Gunther-McNeely-Nowlan post, in behalf of the Legion.

Dr. Shawkey spoke of the prosperity which this country enjoys and the lofty position which the nation commands. Yet he urged that the goal which the people should strive for should be a happy and contented country is preference to wealth and a dominating position.

In the unveiling ceremony Misses Scotty McDonald, Margaret McNemar, Lorena Greever, Doris Bradley, Betty Davin and James Greever participated. Previous to the unveiling the Logan county scouts had charge of the flag raising ceremony. W.C. Turley was chairman of the dedication. Following the ceremony a rifle squad fired three volleys of shots over the monument as a salute to the dead.

C. & O. Band Made Special Music

It is also said that the light in the right hand of the doughboy which represents a grenade is the only one of its kind in the state and it was Mr. Minotti’s original idea.

On the bronze tablet on the base of the monument are inscribed the names of 39 men who died in action of wounds and of disease in Europe.

Roll of Honor

The men killed in action are:

Willard Ball, Clarence Bartram, Floyd W. Clay, Newton Cook, Tony Curia, Oscar Dial, Edward Gunther, David Hensley, Roy Lowe, John B. McNeely, John Martin, William F. Munsey, James L. Robinson, Roy Simms, Willie F. Smith, Bee Stewart, Mike Tarka, Ulysses B. Vance, Peter White, Keefer Jennings Whitman.

Those dying of wounds are: John L. Blankenship, Elmer Cook, Homer Hobbs, Noble J. Lax, Lawrence Marcuzzi, Denver Mullins, William R. Nowland, Haskell Phillips, Henry H. Runyon, Harold Thompson. Those dying of disease in Europe: Allen Bryant, Thomas J. Cox, Fred E. Hahne, Joe Hardy, Clyde Jeffrey, Johnnie Johnson, Allen Tabor, Homer Vance, and Levi J. Vance.

Those who died of disease in the United States but whose names do not appear on the tablet are William O. Bailey, Elbert Billups, James L. Brown, Elbert Carter, Sam Dillard, George D. Fletcher, Bert W. Green, Calvin Hughes, Wilbert S. Jeffreys, Sam Johnson, Claude B. Justice, Druie Mounts, Moss F. Stone, James Weaver, and Roy White.

The soldiers from Logan county who were wounded in action but whose names do not appear on the tablet were Albert Adams, Zatto Adkins, William W. Adkins, Lovell  H. Aldridge, Willie Allen, Frank Ball, Elisha Ball, Frank J. Bell, Walter S. Blake, Evert Blankenship, Tom Boring, George F. Breeden, H. Brewster, Charles Brewster, H.C. Brown, Floyd Chambers, James Chapin, Greenway Christian, Gay T. Gonley, George E. Covey, Ella Craddock, Dan Craft, Jim F. Crawford, John H. Crittenden, James Cyrus, Thomas Y. Davis, Bird Dingess, Rector H. Elkins, James M. Ellis, Carl Ellis, Frank Ferrell, Sidney Ferrell, Robert L. Gore, Burton W. Gore, Ben H. Gosney, Meddie Craley, Orvil Grubb, Earl Hager, William E. Hanshaw, John H. Harris, William Harris, Stonewall Hensley, James Jackson, Albert Jeffrey, Henon Jerrell, Ned Johnson, Floyd Johnson, Thomas P. Justice, Luther Lacy, Tony Ladas, Charles Burton Litten, George Luty, Herbert L. McKinney, Nick Mallozzo, Clifton Manns, Bill Manville, Ben Maynard, William D. Maynard, George Meadows, Shellie Moxley, Charlie M. Munsey, Spencer Mullins, Thomas R. Newmann, Clarence W. Parkins, James D. Peters, Arlie J. Price, Alfred Prichard, Finnie Walter Pugh, Bert Rayborn, Frank C. Reynolds, John Roberts, Dennie Robertson, Jennings Robinson, Otto Sanders, Burnie Sanson, Lee Shelton, John A. Shepherd, Clarence Smith, John Smith, Mack Smith, Patsy Vance, Frank Ward, John L. Ward, Charlie Warcovies, Thomas Weir, Joseph White, John B. Wilkinson, Jr., Frank C. Willcoven, Tom Williams, Will Wilson, Jasper Wooten, and Wilson Workman.

Sunday’s exercises were witnessed by a crowd comparable in size to that which greeted Colonel Roosevelt here during the campaign. While the Roosevelt crowd was considerably larger, Sunday’s crowd occupied most of the space fronting the monument and the main entrance to the Court House, and those on the outer edges heard but snatches of the speeches. And of course there were present scores of kinsmen of those whose names appear in rustless bronze on this granite shaft. As they gathered close to scan these names and to note the expression on the face of the doughboy representation, tears poured down the cheeks of Gold Star mothers as if to climax the hallowing of this spot–this heart center of the city and county–this monument to the ashes, this temple to the fame of those who laid their lives on their country’s altar in the greatest crisis in human history.

Much of the time since the dedication, at least during daylight hours, this new monument has been the cynosure of groups of varying size.

Logan (WV) Banner, 13 November 1928