From the Logan Democrat, of Logan, WV, comes this bit of history about the C & O railroad in the Guyandotte Valley:
NEW GUYAN DIVISION
C. & O. Railroad From Huntington To This City Is Detached From Former Organization
The C. & O. has detached the Guyan Valley district from the Huntington division and created it as a separate division under Superintendent H.E. Webb, formerly of Huntington. A number of other changes are made on the C. & O., which are announced in the following official order:
Richmond, Va., April 30, 1917.
Effective May 1, 1917:
The eastern general division is extended to Hinton, W.Va., and the line Clifton Forge to Hinton, including all branches (Greenbrier district excepted) will be attached to the Clifton Forge division.
The Greenbrier district will be known as the Greenbrier division.
The Hinton division will consist of the line Hinton to Handley, including branches.
The Guyandotte district is detached from the Huntington division, and will be known as the Guyandotte division.
Due to rearrangement of the general divisions and divisions, the following appointments are effective May 1, 1917:
Mr. C.S. Falconer, assistant superintendent, Allegheny district and its branches, Clifton Forge division, Hinton, W.Va.
Mr. F.D. Beall, division engineer, Clifton Forge division, Clifton Forge, Va.
Mr. J.W. Haynes, superintendent Greenbrier division, Ronceverte, West Va.
Mr. H.E. Webb, superintendent, Guyandotte division, Logan, W.Va.
Mr. H.A. Davis, train master, of Guyandotte division, Logan, W.Va.
Mr. R.W. Mumford, division engineer, Guyandotte division, Logan, W.Va.
Mr. W.T. Lipscomb, train master, New River district, Hinton, W.Va.
Mr. W.L. Glass, road foreman of engines, New River district, Hinton, W.Va.
Mr. E.M. Withrow, road foreman of engines, Allegheny district and Greenbrier division, Hinton, W.Va.
Source: Logan (WV) Democrat, 3 May 1917.