A.S. Wellman, Appalachia, Brit Wellman, Ceredo, Dingess, Elisha Wellman, genealogy, history, John Workman, Logan County Banner, logging, Mingo County, Pittsburg, preachers, saw mill, sawyer, Tillie McCloud, timbering, U.S. South, Vane Dingess, W.R. Ellis, Wayne County, Wellman mill, West Virginia, William Mullins
“Quongo Tandem,” a local correspondent at Dingess in present-day Mingo County, West Virginia, offered the following items, written on August 26, 1891, which the Logan County Banner printed on September 3, 1891:
Wm. Mullins is able to walk about with the aid of crutches.
John Workman, sawyer at Wellman mill, has returned after a brief visit in Wayne county.
Vane Dingess, our wide-awake merchant, has enclosed the lot adjoining his new store with a neat board fence.
Contractor Tresher has returned from Pittsburg with his family and is domiciled in one of the “camp cottages.” His present contract demands his presence at this point.
On Tuesday last Brit Wellman, proprietor of the saw-mill at this place, procured a warrant and searched the premises of W.R. Ellis in request of chains, a yoke, a pair of lines, etc., said to have been stolen by the latter. Part of the property was recovered and the end is not yet.
Monday evening two of our “callud breddun,” preachers of the word, held forth at Camp Locker to a large congregation. As our native Hottentots are much given to “shooting craps” “chuck-a-luck” and similar delectable games, this will doubtless prove a good field for mission work.
On Monday, the 17th inst., at the residence of A.S. Wellman, Mr. Elisha Wellman and Miss Tillie McCloud were united in the bonds of wedlock. Elder Dingess, in his usual impressive manner, spoke the words that made them one. Mr. Wellman is one of Dingess’ best known young men with a host of friends, and his bride, a beautiful young lady from Twelve Pole, no less noted for her many endearing qualities than for her many graces of person. Mr. Wellman is to be congratulated upon his fortunate conquest, and if well wishes count for anything, the happy couple’s future will be one continued summer day. They will reside at Ceredo.
This history of early life in Logan County, West Virginia, was written by Howard and Daisy Adams. Howard (1906-1976) and Daisy (b.1915) were children of Major and Belle Dora Adams of Trace Fork of Harts Creek. Titled “The life of pioneers during the latter half of the eighteenth century and the beginning of the 19th century” and written in the late 1960s or early 1970s, their history marks the only known attempt by local people to reconstruct the story of pioneer life. This part of the history includes information regarding coffee, livestock, and pets.
Coffee in those days came in the green berries split in half so you had to roast the berries then put them in a little machine known as a coffee mill. It had a little crank on top which you turned by hand, grinding the coffee up in small pieces. Now it could be put in the pot, add water, build a fire, and make coffee.
A farmer had to raise a large crop of corn along with grass, some for hay and some for pasture or grazing.
The livestock on a farm consisted of horses, cattle, sheep, hogs, chicken, turkeys, geese, ducks, dogs, cats, etc. The horses were used to ride and pull heavy loads around the farm. Cattle were used for beef, also for hauling big loads. They got milk from the cows too. Sheep were used for mutton. Wool from them supplied much of the family’s clothes. Wool was sheared off the sheep, then it was carded by using two small boards, one foot long, five inches wide, about three fourth of an inch thick. The cards had short stiff wife about 1/2 inch long on one side and one handle on each. The wool was put on the wire side of the cards in small amounts and the cards pulled back and forth over the wool and finally the wool was rolled in a roll about 1 inch in diameter and 2 feet long. Now it was ready for the spinning wheel. The spinning made the thread from the rolls of wool. Then the wool was put in the loom and woven into cloth. Warm winter clothes were made from the woolen cloth. Boy it took a lot of work to produce clothes this way but they were well worth it. The duck and geese furnished meat and feathers. The feathers were used for making pillows and big feather beds to put on the shuck or straw mattress. Boy you sure could sleep well on those beds if it wasn’t for the big old clock striking often and so loud. The chickens and turkeys furnished meat and eggs also. The ducks and geese furnished eggs too. Yes, and the rooster was the alarm clock. The dogs were used as watch dogs for chasing away varmints and running squirrel and rabbit, etc. The cats caught lots of mice and chipmunks.
Amon R. Bradbury, Andrew J. Bradbury, Appalachia, Christiansburg, civil war, Confederacy, Confederate Army, Eva Bradbury, genealogy, George E. Bradbury, Henry H. Hardesty, history, James E. Bradbury, John Bradbury, John T. Bradbury, Logan County, Lucy J. Bradbury, Mark Bradbury, Mary E. Bradbury, Minerva Bradbury, Montgomery County, Nebraska, North Carolina, Oceana, Pearis E. Bradbury, Poindexter C. Bradbury, Pulaaski County, R.A. Brock, Rhoda E. Bradbury, Robert E. Lee Bradbury, U.S. South, Virginia, Virginia and Virginians, West Virginia, William B. Bradbury, Wyoming County
From “Virginia and Virginians, 1606-1888,” published by H.H. Hardesty, we find this entry for John Bradbury, who resided at Oceana, West Virginia:
Son of Mark and Minerva (Dason) Bradbury, was born May 6, 1835, in Montgomery county, Va. His father was born in Henry county, Va., on Mar. 6, 1791, and died Sept. 10, 1862, in Montgomery county, Va., and his wife, the mother of the subject of this sketch, was born in same county as her husband on Feb. 10, 1812, and she is now residing in Nebraska. July 28, 1858, John Bradbury was joined in weelock with Mary E. Farmer, who was born in Pulaski county, Va., on April 1, 1838, the marriage being solemnized in the State of North Carolina. Their children’s records are as follows: Poindexter C., born Oct. 6, 1857, married; Amon R., born Sept. 3, 1859; John T., born Jan. 12, 1862; William B. and James E. (twins), born May 6, 1865, the last named deceased; Andrew J., born Aug. 23, 1867, married; Rhoda E., born Aug. 1, 1869; George E., born Mar. 10, 1871; Lucy J., born May 3, 1873; Pearis E., born Sept. 23, 1875; Eva, born Jan. 12, 1877; Robert E. Lee, born April 3, 1879; Ida, born April 10, 1882. John T. died Feb. 24, 1864, and James E. died Feb. 28, 1868. Mr. Bradbury enlisted in the Confederate States army at Christiansburg, Va., in 1861, in Co. E, 54th Va. V.I., and served three years. He is a farmer, and has been trustee of public schools in his county for six years. His post office address is Oceana, W.Va.
Source: Dr. R.A. Brock, Virginia and Virginians, 1606-1888 (Richmond, VA: H.H. Hardesty, Publisher, 1888), 817.
Appalachia, Blood in West Virginia, book, books, Brandon Ray Kirk, feud, history, Lincoln County, Lincoln County Feud, Scarborough Library, Scarborough Society Art and Lecture Series, Shepherd University, Shepherdstown, West Virginia, writing
We are pleased to announce our upcoming appearance at Shepherd University in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, as part of the prestigious Scarborough Society Art and Lecture Series on April 9.
civil war, coal, Confederate Army, constable, David Morgan, deputy sheriff, Eli Blankenship, Giles County, Henry Blankenship, Henry H. Hardesty, justice of the peace, Nellie Morgan, North Spring, Polly Blankenship, R.A. Brock, Smythe County, Virginia, Virginia and Virginians, West Virginia, Wyoming County
From “Virginia and Virginians, 1606-1888,” published by H.H. Hardesty, we find this entry for Captain Henry Blankenship, who resided at North Spring, West Virginia:
Son of Eli and Polly (Smith) Blankenship, was born Mar. 11, 1828, in Wyoming county, W.Va. His father was born Mar. 6, 1780, in Giles county, Va., and died Sept. 16, 1849; his mother was born Jan. 5, 1781, in Smythe county, Va., dying July 25, 1883. Both parents died in Wyoming county, W.Va., where they had been long honored residents. On Dec. 4, 1844, Capt. Blankenship was joined in wedlock with Polly, daughter of David and Nellie (Cook) Morgan, who were born in Wyoming county, where they lived and died. Her father was born Sept. 9, 1808, and died April 7, 1869; her mother born June 15, 1869, dying on Oct. 10, 1843. Capt. Blankenship was elected constable of Wyoming county in 1852, serving two years. He enlisted in the Confederate States army in 1861; commissioned first lieutenant of Co. B, 4th Va. V.I., serving two years, and promoted captain, then serving two years longer; discharged in 1865 in Smythe county, Va. After the war he was elected justice of the peace, serving one term, re-elected in 1872. In 1886 he was sworn in as deputy sheriff, and is also notary public; always a trustworthy and honorable officer. He is one of the most successful and prosperous farmers of his section, owning an extensive tract of coal and timber lands near North Spring, W.Va., which is his post office address.
Source: Dr. R.A. Brock, Virginia and Virginians, 1606-1888 (Richmond, VA: H.H. Hardesty, Publisher, 1888), 816-817.
Readers of the blog will certainly enjoy this commendable video documentary regarding East Lynn, a former coal town located in Wayne County, WV. East Lynn has a rich history, but our favorite part of it is this: it marks the home of Cain Adkins and his kinsmen. Following the Lincoln County Feud, Mr. Adkins left Harts Creek and resettled in the area that would later become known as East Lynn.
Appalachia, Commodore Andrew Perry, Dingess, Dingess tunnel, Elias Perry, genealogy, history, immigrants, Jack Mounts, Jim Spaulding, Logan, Logan County Banner, mandolin, miller, Mingo County, music, Perry mill, Peter Dingess, timbering, U.S. South, violin, Wayne County, West Virginia, William Mullins
“Quousquo Tandem,” a local correspondent at Dingess in present-day Mingo County, West Virginia, offered the following items, which the Logan County Banner printed on August 13, 1891:
Presuming upon the absence of any regular correspondent from this place I will give your readers the happenings at Dingess.
For the last few days there has been dearth of rain.
Health in general is good, except among some of those engaged in hard work and addicted to the too free use of water. An indisposition is prevalent at present, something akin to dysentery.
William Mullins, who was lately injured at the sawmill, is rapidly recovering.
Dingess now boasts of a string band, composed of a number of our Italian citizens, who are at present engaged in working in the tunnel, and “oft through the still night” may be heard the dulcet strains of the mandolin and violin cello ringing in harmony as they are gently wafted above.
Commodore Andrew Perry’s mill is running full time and things are speeding along nicely. Although not a large man, Commodore has a heart as big as the whole county, and he deserves all the success he is having.
Peter Dingess is hauling for the Perry mill and keeps an abundant supply of logs in the yard.
Jack Dingess has developed into a full-fledged “Boniface.” He has at present stopping with him some twelve or more men engaged in arching the tunnel. He sets a good table and has pleasant accommodations. At night, after the inner man has been refreshed all adjourn to the front porch, where an open air concert is rendered by the “string band,” in the delectation of all within hearing distance.
“Uncle” Jim Spaulding, son and daughter, and Jack Mounts left for a brief visit to their homes in Wayne county, last week.
Lias Perry is again with us looking well and hearty after his visit home.
This history of early life in Logan County, West Virginia, was written by Howard and Daisy Adams. Howard (1906-1976) and Daisy (b.1915) were children of Major and Belle Dora Adams of Trace Fork of Harts Creek. Titled “The life of pioneers during the latter half of the eighteenth century and the beginning of the 19th century” and written in the late 1960s or early 1970s, their history marks the only known attempt by local people to reconstruct the story of pioneer life. This part of the history includes information regarding garden food and butter-making.
Everyone had a large garden which produced much of the eating of old-timers. Beans, corn, cucumbers, potatoes, beets, melons, pumpkins, squash, onions, mustard, and lettuce, parsnips, were all produced in large quantities. Yes, cabbage, tomatoes, peas, and a lot I’ve forgotten.
Most pioneers had an orchard of apples, pear, peaches, plums from which they got a lot of good eating. These fruits were put up in many ways, especially apples. They were canned, sulfured, dried, and made into apple butter. Making apple butter was done by peeling a lot of apples and slicing them up in small pieces. Then putting them in a big copper or brass kettle which was set in a furnace. To keep the apple butter from sticking or burning in the kettle after a fire was built around it a stir stick was used. To describe a stir stick it was a piece of one by five inch board about 2 feet long with a lot of holes bored in it. A handle was fastened to the top end of the board. The handle was around 8 feet long and was pushed and pulled across and around in the kettle of apples all day long. Apples were added to the big kettle about noon. Then the sugar or molasses was added along with flavor such as vanilla or cinnamon bark which gave the apple butter a good taste. After the sweetening was put in the butter began to flop out everywhere. You had to stir fast and watch out for the flopping butter because if it hit you it burned badly. Boyd I liked to lick those apple butter spoons. Well, enough about apple butter.
We mentioned butter from milk but never told how it was made. The milk from the cow was strained and put in a stone churn size 4 gallon. It was left in the churn until it soured or got thick as they called it. Then it was churned up and down by a churn-dasher: a one by 6 inch circular piece of wood on a handle. After it was churned about 30 minutes butter would form on top of the milk. Then it was dipped off with a spoon and put in a dish, salted, and set up to get cold. So long, butter.
Albert Bailey, Clear Fork, David C. Bailey, David H. Bailey, Frank O. Bailey, genealogy, George C. Bailey, Guyandotte River, Henry H. Hardesty, history, Humphrey Bailey, Ira Bailey, Logan County, Lucinda J. Bailey, Mary Bailey, Oceana, Ollie E. Bailey, Orvie Bailey, R.A. Brock, Rachel A. Bailey, Romeo Bailey, Tazewell County, Thomas J. Bailey, Virginia, Virginia and Virginians, West Virginia, Wyoming County
From “Virginia and Virginians, 1606-1888,” published by H.H. Hardesty, we find this entry for David C. Bailey, who resided at Oceana, West Virginia:
Was born in Logan county, W.Va., April 3, 1843, but subsequently removed to Wyoming county, where he was living at the breaking of the war of the rebellion. Here, June 28, 1865, he was united in marriage to Lucinda J. Lambert, native of Tazewell county, Va. Of this union 12 children have been born: Ollie E., Thomas J., George C., Humphrey, Ira, Mary, Rachel A., Frank O., Albert, Romeo, David H., and Orvie. They reside with their parents at their beautiful home on Clear Fork, not far from its junction with Guyandotte River. Mr. Bailey is at this time engaged in farming; besides his handsome residence, he owns extensive coal and timber lands. As a citizen, he is highly respected; as a friend, he is beloved by all who know him. He has held several offices with honor, among others that of county superintendent, to which he was elected in 1879, continued in office till 1885, having been re-elected in 1884. His post office is Oceana, Wyoming county, W.Va.
Source: Dr. R.A. Brock, Virginia and Virginians, 1606-1888 (Richmond, VA: H.H. Hardesty, Publisher, 1888), 816.
This history of early life in Logan County, West Virginia, was written by Howard and Daisy Adams. Howard (1906-1976) and Daisy (b.1915) were children of Major and Belle Dora Adams of Trace Fork of Harts Creek. Titled “The life of pioneers during the latter half of the eighteenth century and the beginning of the 19th century” and written in the late 1960s or early 1970s, their history marks the only known attempt by local people to reconstruct the story of pioneer life. This part of the history includes information regarding clothes washing and outbuildings.
The pioneers done their own washing of clothes. They had a large black kettle set in a furnace made of mud and rocks. The kettle was partly filled with water and some homemade soap added to the water. Then the dirty clothes were dumped in the kettle and a fire built around the kettle and a fire built around the kettle to make it boil. After the clothes had boiled a while a small batch of them was taken out at a time and laid on a large block about 2 feet high and 2 feet in diameter. Then a paddle about 3 feet long 1 inch thick and 4 inches wide was used to pound the clothes as they were taken from the big kettle and placed on the bottling block as it was called. While the clothes were being pounded with the paddle the hot water and dirt would fly everyway. You had to watch out and not get burned from hot water. It was hard work, but the clothes were made clean. Later on a few people got hold of a gadget called a wash board. It had corrugated tin fastened on one side and the clothes were soaped and wet then rubbed up and down on the wash board which took the dirt out of them. This was a hard way doing laundry.
There had to be several buildings erected on the farm, such as barn for cows and horses to be sheltered in, sheep house for sheep. Cribs for corn. A smoke house to keep meat. Salt, flour, meal, etc. in a well house near the well. I will describe one or two of these houses. The well house first. It was about 6 feet wide by 10 feet long and had no floor except the dirt or ground. Some big flat rocks were laid on the ground in the well house and large tubs set on the rocks. Cold water from the well was poured in the tubs and milk, eggs, butter, etc. were set in the water to keep them cool. Water had to be changed 2 or 3 times a day especially on hot days. Now the smoke house. It was about 10 X 16 feet and had a floor in the front end. About 6 feet of floor across the back was left out. The ground space in back of smoke house was used for building a fire to smoke the meat. That would be stored in later. Some folks who put up a lot of canned vegetables made a cellar or can-house for them. The cellar was made by digging a hole in the side of a hill near the house and boarding it up or cribbing it up with logs, which ever were available. Shelves were made in it and the canned vegetables stored away.
Appalachia, Ella A. Avis, genealogy, Guyandotte River, Henry H. Hardesty, history, Hugh C. Avis, John C. Avis, John Dingess, Logan County, Martha J. Avis, Mary F. Avis, Monroe County, R.A. Brock, Rich Creek, Sarah Dingess, U.S. South, Virginia and Virginians, West Virginia
From “Virginia and Virginians, 1606-1888,” published by H.H. Hardesty, we find this entry for Hugh C. Avis, who resided at Rich Creek, West Virginia:
Was born in Logan county, W.Va., June 6, 1842, where he was married Jan. 21, 1869, to Martha J. Dingess, of same county. They have had six children: Ella A., born Nov. 28, 1869; Mary F., born June 18, 1871; next were twins, who died unnamed; John C., born Dec. 14 [year omitted]; James, born April 8, 1877. The oldest is married, the others live with their parents. John and Sarah (Moar) Dingess were parents of Mrs. Avis; her father was born in Logan county, where he died July 18, 1884, aged 76; the mother was born in Monroe county, Va., and now lives in Logan county at an advanced age. The subject of this sketch is at this time engaged in farming and merchandising; he owns a valuable farm on Guyandotte River, a large dry goods store and extensive coal and timber lands in Logan county. As a man of honor and moral excellence he is esteemed by all who know him. His post office address is Rich Creek, Logan county, W.Va.
Source: Dr. R.A. Brock, Virginia and Virginians, 1606-1888 (Richmond, VA: H.H. Hardesty, Publisher, 1888), 815-816.