Appalachia, Big Ugly Creek, Burbus Clinton Spurlock, genealogy, Hamilton Fry, history, Huntington, Jefferson District, Lincoln County, merchant, Midkiff, Nancy Ann Spurlock, Nancy Fry, Nancy Spurlock, Robinson Spurlock, West Virginia
Adam Lambert, Andrew D. Robinson, Appalachia, B.C. Curry, Big Ugly Creek, Boone County, Burbus Toney, Charles Spurlock, constable, Edley Elkins, education, Fourteen Mile Creek, genealogy, Guyandotte River, Harts Creek, Harts Creek District, Henry H. Hardesty, Hezekiah Adkins, history, Isaac Elkins, James White, Jefferson District, Jeremiah Lambert, Jesse Gartin, John Fry, John H. Brumfield, John Lucas, justice of the peace, Kiahs Creek, Laurel Hill District, Lewis Queen, Lincoln County, Little Harts Creek, Little Ugly Creek, Logan County, Methodist, miller, Rhoda Elkins, Richard Adkins, Richard Elkins, Sarah Elkins, Squire Toney, timber, timbering, Wayne County, West Virginia, William Lucas, William West
From “Hardesty’s History of Lincoln County, West Virginia,” published by H.H. Hardesty, we find this entry for Harts Creek District in Lincoln County, West Virginia:
This is the most southern subdivision of the county. It derives its name from Harts creek, a tributary of the Guyandotte river. On the north is Laurel Hill district, on the northeast is Jefferson, east Boone county, on the south Logan, and on the west Wayne. Guyandotte river flows northwest and divides the district into two nearly equal parts. There are several small streams, among which are Little and Big Harts creeks, Little and Big Ugly creeks, Kiahs creek, and Fourteen Mile creek.
The first settler was Richard Elkins, who reared his cabin in the month of September, 1807. Here he removed his family, and here Charles Spurlock became his first neighbor. Other early settlers were: Esquire Toney, John Lucas, Edley Elkins, John Fry, Hezekiah Adkins, John Brumfield, and Richard Adkins. Rhoda, a daughter of Edley and Sarah Elkins, was the first white child born in the district. The first grist mill was built by James White about the year 1821. It was a small tub-wheel mill, water being the propelling power. Isaac Elkins built the first saw mill in 1847 or 1848. It was constructed on the old sash-saw plan, and had a capacity for cutting from 800 to 1,000 feet per day.
The first school was taught in a log cabin one mile above the mouth of Big Harts creek about the year 1832, but who the teacher was cannot now be ascertained. The date, however, is remembered by an old resident, because it was the year in which he first visited this section. The first house for educational purposes was built near the mouth of Big Harts creek in 1834. It was a five-cornered building, one side being occupied by the ever-present huge fire place. There are now ten public school houses in the district, “some of which,” says an informant, “are in bad condition, but will soon be replaced by frames;” 334 boys and girls attend school in this district.
The first sermon was preached here in the year 1823 by a Methodist minister named William West, and here the same year he gathered a little church, one of the first ever formed in the valley of the Guyandotte river; but of its history or who composed its membership, nothing is known. When the writer asked of an old settler the question: “Who were the first members?” his reply was: “The register is gone, and no one living can tell.” When asked who organized the first Sabbath school, he replied: “There never was one in the district.”
The first township officers were as follows: Supervisor, Burbus Toney; justice of the peace, Jeremiah Lambert; constable, Jesse Gartin; clerk, Andrew Robinson; treasurer, B.C. Curry; school commissioners, Adam Lambert, William Lucas, and Lewis Queen. According to the census of 1880, the population was 1,116.
Source: The West Virginia Encyclopedia, Vol. 7 (Richwood, WV: Jim Comstock, 1974), p. 106-107.
NOTE: I descend from Richard Elkins, John Fry, John H. Brumfield, and Jeremiah Lambert.
Andrew Lewis Sias, Appalachia, Boone County, Bradford Hill, commissioner of reassessments, Confederate Army, Evi Sias, Fayette County, genealogy, Gettysburg, Henry C. Sias, Henry H. Hardesty, history, Ira Sias, Isaac Sias, James B. Sias, James Sias, James Wilson Sias, Jefferson District, justice of the peace, Left Hand Fork, Lelia Sias, Lincoln County, Missionary Baptist Church, Mud River, Noah Sias, Olivia F. Sias, Rebecca A. Sias, Rebecca Sias, Sallie R. Sias, Sarah B. Hill, Sarah B. Sias, Spurlockville, Union Army, Union District, Washington District, West Virginia
From “Hardesty’s History of Lincoln County, West Virginia,” published by H.H. Hardesty, we find this entry for Evi Sias, who resided at Spurlocksville in Lincoln County, West Virginia:
One of the farming population of Jefferson district, Lincoln county, was born in Fayette county, (then) Virginia, in 1835, and he is a son of James and Rebecca (Adkins) Sias, who came to Lincoln county in 1857. Sallie R., daughter of Bradford and Sarah B. (Thomas) Hill, was born in Boone county, (now) West Virginia, in 1852. Her parents settled in Lincoln county in 1852, and in this county, in 1871, she became the wife of Evi Sias, and six children are the result of their union: Sarah B., born July 8, 1872; Rebecca A., November 28, 1873; Olivia F., September 4, 1875, died in August, 1877; James B., October 22, 1877; Ira, September 28, 1879; Lelia, January 14, 1882. Five brothers of Evi Sias served in the late war: Isaac, James W., Noah, and Henry C. were in the Federal service, and Andrew L., joined the Confederate ranks, and was wounded at the battle of Gettysburg. Evi Sias was elected justice of the peace, and in 1880 was re-elected; he is commissioner of reassessments of land and secretary of the board of education in Jefferson district. Mr. Sias has been a strong advocate of free schools, and taught the first free school in Washington district, Boone county, and the first in Union district, Lincoln county. He has a farm of 100 acres on the Left Hand fork of Mud river; a part is heavily timbered, contains mineral, coal and iron ore, and the remainder in cultivation, with a large orchard. Evi Sias is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and a man respected by all. Address, Spurlocksville, Lincoln county, West Virginia.
Source: The West Virginia Encyclopedia, Vol. 7 (Richwood, WV: Jim Comstock, 1974), p. 148.
NOTE: I descend from Evi’s brothers, James Wilson Sias and Andrew Lewis Sias.
This site is dedicated to the collection, preservation, and promotion of history and culture in Appalachia.
Genealogy and History in North Carolina and Beyond
A site about one of the most beautiful, interesting, tallented, outrageous and colorful personalities of the 20th Century
For Readers, Writers, and Lovers of Historical Fiction