bear, Big Laurel Fork, Brandon Kirk, Francis Fork, horses, Kiahs Creek, Lincoln County, Mountain Home Cemetery, nature, New Salem Old Regular Baptist Church, photos, Phyllis Kirk, Wade Adkins Branch, Wayne County, West Virginia
Appalachia, education, Eva Workman, Francis Fork, genealogy, Hamlin, history, Jim Ramey, Kiahs Creek, Lincoln County, Logan Banner, Mae Caines, Minnie Workman, Queens Ridge, Trough Fork School, W.H. Mann, Wayne County, West Virginia, Woodrow Workman
A correspondent named “Black Eyes” from Queen’s Ridge at Lincoln-Wayne counties, West Virginia, offered the following items, which the Logan Banner printed on March 23, 1923:
The Trough Fork school will close on the 23rd day of this month. Everybody come.
Woodrow Workman has returned home from a two weeks vacation on Francis Creek.
Jim Ramey celebrated his sixtieth birthday last Thursday.
Miss Minnie Workman was the guest of May Caines Monday.
Miss Eva Workman was visiting the post office Friday.
W.H. Mann is attending court this week at Hamlin.
NOTE: Geographically, Queens Ridge is located entirely in Wayne County but the post office area included a section of Lincoln (and Logan) County for a certain number of years.
Albert Queen, Appalachia, Arnold Workman, Big Creek, Charlie Tomblin, coal, Elmer Frazier, Emery Bryant, Eva Workman, farming, Francis Fork, Frank Mann, Garland Spry, genealogy, history, hunting, Jinks Mann, Kiahs Creek, Lincoln County, Logan Banner, Minnie Workman, Monroe Workman, Nancy Shepherd, Ocie Spry, Ora Mann, Queens Ridge, Silas Spry, Victoria Maynard, Virgie Mann, W.H. Tomblin, Wayne, Wayne County, Wayne Maynard, West Virginia, Wiley Queen, Woodrow Workman
A correspondent named “Mike and Ike” from Queen’s Ridge at Lincoln-Wayne counties, West Virginia, offered the following items, which the Logan Banner printed on March 2, 1923:
Minnie and Eva Workman took dinner with Ora Mann Monday.
Garland Spry was rabbit hunting Sunday.
Minnie and Eva Workman made a flying trip to Francis Creek Sunday and back home Monday. They reported a good time.
Ora Mann and Eva Workman are going to the commencement exercise of Mrs. Victoria Maynard’s school next Wednesday.
W.H. Tomlin is grieving about his son Charlie, who is about to get married. He says if Charlie marries he is broke up.
Nancy Shepherd, who was reported sick a few weeks ago, is some better.
Virgie Mann was visiting friends on Francis Creek Sunday.
Minnie Workman is going to school every day. She says her school will soon close and she will go to Wayne to go to school.
A few weeks ago the farmers were thinking of planting corn. Now they are better satisfied sitting by the fire.
I wonder when Wayne Maynard is coming back home.
Arnold Workman has built a new chicken house. He says he can’t feed his poultry and chickens together.
Woodrow Workman got his fine coon dog caught in a trap. He says he will soon recover.
Frank Mann made a business trip to Big Creek Monday.
Wiley and Albert Queen were on our streets hauling coal last week.
Wonder where Silas Spry was Sunday? Guess he ran into a stump and bumped his nose and stumped his toes.
Elmer Frazier and his hat are getting along fine.
Emery Bryant was calling on Sallie Mann Sunday.
Jinks Mann is still going to see Ocie Spry every Sunday.
Little Monroe Workman is drawing a pension. He had his dog’s life insured and killed the dog to get the insurance.
NOTE: Geographically, Queens Ridge is located entirely in Wayne County but the post office area included a section of Lincoln (and Logan) County for a certain number of years.
Abiel A. Low, Appalachia, Francis Fork, genealogy, Guyandotte River, Harts Creek District, history, Isaac Gartin, James I. Kuhn, Kiahs Creek, Lincoln County, Little Harts Creek, Rollum Fork, Samuel Damron, Samuel Short, Twelve Pole Creek, West Virginia, William H. Aspinwall, William Manns, William T. Nichols
A.H. Sanders, A.P. Sanders, Andrew J. Browning, Appalachia, Big Branch, Big Ugly Creek, Broad Branch, Brooks Summerville, Buck Lick Branch, Cassander Spurlcok, Charles Bowden Brumfield, Chloe Maynard, Climena Lucas, Clinton Spurlock, Daisy Brumfield, Ellen Ferguson, Evermont Ward Fry, F.F. Starcher, Fourteen Mile Creek, Francis Fork, G.H. Chenoweth, genealogy, George F. Miller, Giles Davis, Granville Mullins, Green Shoal Creek, Guyandotte River, Harts Creek, Henry C. Sias, Hezekiah Adkins, history, Hugh Evans, Isaac Gartin, J.H. Meeks, J.W. Breeding, J.W. Stowers, James C. Tomblin, James D. Porter, James I. Kuhn, Johnny Headley, Joseph E. Chilton, Joseph Gartin, Joseph Maynard, Julia Yantis Walker, Kiahs Creek, Koontz Realty Company, L.V. Koontz, Laurel Fork, Lena Ferrell, Leonard Lucas, Lettie Belle Fowler, Limestone Branch, Lincoln County, Lincoln Fuel Oil and Lumber Company, Mary A. Mullen, Mary Maynard, Midkiff, Nary Gartin, Nine Mile Creek, O.J. Wilkinson, Panther Branch, Patsy Ann Porter, Patterson Toney, Philip Hager, Polly Browning, Smith Ferrell, Squire Toney, Sulphur Spring Fork, Sylvanis Neace, Tucker Fry, Twelve Pole Creek, W.C. Mullen, W.L. Rector, W.L. Starcher, W.T. Gillenwater, Wallace Hager, West Virginia, William U. Stollings, Wirt Toney
The following deed index is based on Deed Book 53 at the Lincoln County Clerk’s Office in Hamlin, WV, and relates to residents of the Harts Creek community. Most notations reflect Harts Creek citizens engaged in local land transactions; some reflect Harts Creek citizens engaged in land transactions outside of the community. These notes are meant to serve as a reference to Deed Book 53. Researchers who desire the most accurate version of this material are urged to consult the actual record book.
Hezikiah Adkins to Julia Y. Walker 25 acres on West Side of Guyan River 7 January 1909 Fisher B. Adkins, NP p. 40
Polly Browning to Joseph Maynard 75 acres Laurel Branch of Twelve Pole Creek 14 January 1905 Hugh Evans, JP p. 412-413
Daisy Brumfield to Charley Brumfield 68 acres Big Branch of Big Ugly 7 September 1907 p. 219-220
J.E. Chilton to Lettie B. Fowler 150 acres East Side of Guyandotte River 15 February 1883 p. 365-366
G.D. Davis to Koontz Realty Company 113 3/5 acres (mineral) 8 May 1907 p. 329
Ellen Ferguson to L.V. Koontz 79 4/5 acres on Green Shoal Creek 14 December 1906 p. 304-305
Lena Ferrell to A.H. Sanders 49 acres (oil and gas) 5 December 1906 p. 305-306
D.C. Fry to Koontz Realty Company 4 acres 8 May 1907 p. 320-321
D.C. Fry to Koontz Realty Company 90 acres Green Shoal Creek 8 May 1907 p. 322-323
Joseph and Nary Gartin to W.R. and Mary Lucas and L.C. and Climina Lucas 75 and 15 acres on Sulpher Spring Fork of Fourteen Mile Creek 8 January 1910 p. 45-46
W.T. Gillenwater to Koontz Realty Company 82 acres (mineral) 16 July 1907 p. 315-316
Philip Hager to Koontz Realty Company 136 1/2 acres 17 May 1907 p. 318-319
Wallace Hager to Smith Ferrell 158 acres Broad Branch of Big Ugly 4 April 1907 R.E. Lowe, JP p. 166-167
L.V. Koontz to Koontz Realty Company 799 2/3 acres Big Ugly Creek 24 June 1907 p. 310-311
J.I. Kuhn to Isaac G. Gartin 75 acres Little Harts Creek 1 September 1879 p. 281-284
J.I. Kuhn to Climenia Lucas et al 496 acres on Fourteen Mile Creek 6 June 1880 p. 288-291
James I. Kuhn to William Mann and Isaac Garten 1 August 1879 Francis Fork of Hezekiah Creek p. 285-288
Lincoln Fuel, Oil, and Lumber Company v. A.P. Sanders, W.C. Mullen, and Mary A. Mullen correction to deed 5 October 1910 p. 243-244
L.C. Lucas to Climena Lucas 37 acres on Fourteen Mile Creek 13 December 1909 p. 53
Chloe Maynard to Joseph Maynard 100 acres Twelve Pole Creek 10 October 1907 p. 410-411
Mary Maynard to Joseph Maynard 85 acres Twelve Pole Creek 21 October 1905 p. 409-410
George F. Miller to Koontz Realty Company 33 acres (mineral) 13 May 1907 p. 317-318
Granville Mullins to William U. Stollings 10 acres Limestone Branch 28 March 1910 p. 416
Sylvanis Neace to J.W. Breeding 75 acres on Buck Lick Branch of Guyandotte River (Laurel Hill District) 12 February 1910 p. 133-134
J.D. Porter et ux to W.L. Rector Big Ugly Creek 27 March 1902 p. 333-339
Patsy Ann Porter to Joseph Maynard Tract on Ridge Between Laurel Branch and Wiley Branch 4 August 1908 p. 414-415
W.L. Rector et ux to G.H. Chenoweth 3/16 undivided interest in tracts on Harts Creek and Big Ugly Creek 28 December 1903 p. 340-
W.L. Starcher et ux to F.F. Starcher interest in four tracts on Big Ugly Creek 27 September 1907 p. 347-349
A.H. Sanders et ux to L.V. Koontz Stowers Farm on Green Shoal 10 December 1906 p. 288-291
A.H. Sanders et ux to L.V. Koontz 49 acres on Big Ugly Creek 12 March 1907 p. 301
A.H. Sanders et al declaration of trust to A.P. Sanders 25 July 1907 p. 329
A.P. Sanders to W.C. Mullen 150 acres Big Ugly Creek 2 October 1907 p. 164-165
A.P. Sanders to A.H. Sanders 278 acres Lick Branch of Laurel Fork of Big Ugly 31 October 1907 p. 227-228
Henry C. Sias to John T. Headley 75 acres on Steer Fork of Fourteen Mile Creek 17 February 1909 p. 1-2
Cassander Spurlock et ux to A.H. Sanders 89 1/3 acres on Big Ugly Creek 5 December 1906 p. 307-308
Clinton Spurlock et ux to E.W. Fry et ux 15 acres near Nine Mile Creek on Guyandotte River 3 June 1901 p. 194
Clinton Spurlock to Clinton Spurlock and E.W. Fry 7360 square feet at Midkiff 1 January 1906 p. 195-196
J.W. Stowers et al to A.H. Sanders 144 1/3 acres 7 December 1906 p. 308-309
Brooks Summerville et ux to F.F. Starcher interest in four tracts on Big Ugly Creek 1 November 1907 p. 346-347
James C. Tomblin to Andrew J. Browning Painter Branch, Big Branch of Harts Creek 19 March 1875 Jeremiah Lambert, JP p. 170-171
Patterson Toney et ux to L.V. Koontz 437 acres on Big Ugly Creek 29 December 1906 p. 302-303
Squire Toney et ux to Koontz Realty Company 295 52/100 acres Big Ugly Creek (mineral) 27 June 1907 p. 312-314
Wirt Toney et ux to Koontz Realty Company 203 61/100 acres (mineral) 4 May 1907 p. 324-326
O.J. Wilkinson, commissioner of school lands, to J.H. Meeks, trustee 1 February 1910 Piney Fork of East Fork p. 104-105 [references Abner Vance]
NOTE: I copied all of these deeds.
A.B. Harrison, A.B. Staley, A.C. Barrett, A.E. Wagner, A.F. Morris, A.P. Sanders, Aaron Adkins, Al Brumfield, Alex Hollandsworth, Allen Adkins Branch, Ben Walker, Big Branch, Big Ugly Creek, Blackburn Lucas, Brad Toney, Burbus C. Toney, C.E. Burns, Cain Adkins, Cain Lucas, Charley Lucas, David Farley, David Workman, E.E. Adkins, East Fork, Elias Vance, Elizabeth Duty, Emma Duty, Floyd Fry, Floyd Rakes, Francis Fork, genealogy, Georgia E. Staley, Green Shoal Branch, Guyandotte River, Hamlin, history, J.H. Fry, J.H. McComas, J.M. Brammer, J.P. Douglas, J.W. Johnson, Jake Adkins, James A. Holley, James L. Chafin, James P. Ferrell, Jeff Duty, Jefferson Lucas, John D. Shelton, John Dingess, John F. Duty, John P. Lucas, John W Runyon, Laurel Fork, Lee Fry, Lewis Nelson, Lincoln County, Little Harts Creek, Lorenzo D. Hill, Lottie Lucas, Louary Brumfield, Louis R. Sweetland, Louisa Lucas, Mack H. Adkins, Maggie Farley, Malinda Nelson, Martha Jane Lucas, Marvel Elkins, Mary Alice Manns, Mile Branch, Morgan Phipps, Moses Lucas, Nancy A. Holley, Nancy Jane Adkins, Nancy Webb, Nettie Ferrell, Peter M. Toney, Philip Hager, Rufus Pack, Samuel B. Price, Sand Creek, Sarah Adkins, Sarah Headley, Smith Ferrell, Spencer Adkins, Sulphur Spring Fork, timber, W.C. Mullen, Wesley Nelson, West Fork, West Virginia, William A. Sias, William Manns, William R. Duty
The following deed index is based on Deed Book 52 at the Lincoln County Clerk’s Office in Hamlin, WV, and relates to residents of the Harts Creek community. Most notations reflect Harts Creek citizens engaged in local land transactions; some reflect Harts Creek citizens engaged in land transactions outside of the community. These notes are meant to serve as a reference to Deed Book 52. Researchers who desire the most accurate version of this material are urged to consult the actual record book.
Aaron and Nancy Jane Adkins to B.W. Walker 100 acres on Allen Adkins Branch of Guyandotte River 12 June 1885 Cain Adkins, JP p. 58-59 [NOTE: References logs, Mack H. Adkins]
Aaron Adkins, Jr. to B.W. Walker Ridge Between East Fork and Guyandotte River (Upper 1/3 of 200 acre survey) 12 October 1889 Elias Vance, JP p. 60 [references Samuel B. Price timber]
E.E. Adkins to Allen Brumfield, Jr. 185 5/8 acres 17 August 1897 p. 411-412
Enos Adkins et ux to Allen Brumfield, Jr. 2 Tracts 22 August 1895 p. 424-425
Enos Adkins et ux to Allen Brumfield 28 December 1894 Elias Vance, JP p. 413-414
Isaac Adkins et al to Allen Brumfield, Jr. 22 June 1892 p. 420-421
Sarah Adkins to B.W. Walker 100 acres Allen Adkins Branch 14 August 1889 p. 61-62
Spencer Adkins to John P. Lucas 221 1/2 acres Guyandotte River (Laurel Hill District) 14 March 1896 p. 273-274
Spencer Adkins et ux to Martha Jane Lucas 63 5/8 acres Big Branch (Laurel Hill District) 29 January 1908 p. 275-276
J.M. Brammer et ux to David Farley 44 1/2 acres Laurel Fork of Little Harts Creek 11 April 1910 A.E. Wagner, JP p. 300-301
Allen Brumfield to Hollena Brumfield 25 January 1904 p. 428-429
Allen Brumfield to Hollena Brumfield 70 acres 9 July 1904 p. 430-431
Louary Brumfield et al to A.C. Barrett et ux Lot No. 6 Hamlin 23 July 1903 p. 308-310
C.E. Burns to Nancy Webb 52 1/2 acres Frances Creek 10 August 1908 p. 10
James L. Chafin to L.C. Browning et ux Big Branch 19 January 1903 p. 314-315
John Conley et ux to Rosa N. Vannatter 66 acres Big Ugly Creek 19 October 1908 p. 117-118
B.C. Dial to Brad Toney 100 acres on East Side of Guyandotte River 23 October 1891 J.R. Wilson, NP p. 242
John Dingess to Hollena Brumfield 7 August 1891 p. 418-419
J.P. Douglas, trustee, to Hollena Ferguson p. 426-428
J.P. Douglas, trustee, to John D. Shelton 10 acres Sand Creek, Big Branch 6 June 1908 p. 38-39
Leo F. Drake et al to Lewis Thompson 100 acres Harts Creek 30 March 1905 p. 264-265
John F. Duty to Jefferson Duty 12 1/2 acres 28 July 1898 p. 114-115
William R. Duty to Emma Duty 80 acres 4 December 1897 p. 115-116
William R. Duty to Jefferson Duty 50 acres 4 December 1897 p. 113-114
Marvel Elkins to William A. Sias 100 acres Sulpher Spring Fork of Fourteen Mile Creek 7 February 1888 p. 27-28
Maggie Farley to Louis R. Sweetland 1/4 acre and 1 Lot Hamlin 15 August 1907 p. 365-367
Jonah Ferguson to Dollie Ferrell 30 acres Big Ugly 19 October 1907 P.M. Toney, NP p. 289-290
James P. Ferrell to Bradford Toney 7 June 1887 Philip Hager, NP p. 240-241
Smith and Nettie Ferrell to Elizabeth Duty 16 acres 21 November 1899 p. 116-117
Floyd Fry et ux to Bradford Toney 150 acre interest just above mouth of Green Shoal 28 June 1898 J.H. McComas, NP p. 243 [references B.C. Toney farm]
A.B. Harrison and J.H. Fry to A.B. Staley 86 acres Fourteen Mile Creek (Laurel Hill District) 8 April 1892 p. 81
Sarah Headley to E.C. Lucas et ux one acre Fourteen Mile Creek (Laurel Hill District) 2 March 1907 p. 313-314
L.D. Hill to Moses Lucas 100 acres Mile Branch 24 April 1903 p. 316-317
Alex Hollandsworth et ux to Lee Fry House and Lot, Hamlin 26 March 1908 p. 367-368
James A. Holley et ux to Allen Brumfield, Jr. Guyandotte River 6 June 1898 p. 415-418
Nancy A. Holley et ux to Maggie Farley 1/4 acre Hamlin 7 June 1907 p. 364-365
J.W. Johnson to Spencer Adkins and John P. Lucas right of way 11 July 1908 p. 277-278
B.B. Lucas to Lottie Lucas 75 acres Green Shoal branch 11 December 1906 M.C. Farley, NP p. 220-221
Charley and Louisa Lucas et vir to Morgan Phipps 7 acres Laurel Fork (Jefferson District) 13 September 1910 p. 371
John P. Lucas to A.B. Staley 65 acres West Side Guyandotte River 26 December 1899 Jefferson Lucas, JP p. 82-83
John P. Lucas to A.B. Staley 46 acres Fourteen Mile Creek (Laurel Hill District) 12 March 1907 Jefferson Lucas, JP p. 78-79
William Mans to Mary Alice Mans et al quit claim 12 May 1905 p. 11-12
A.F. Morris, special commissioner, to B.B. Lucas 75 acres on Green Shoal 7 December 1906 p. 218-219
W.C. Mullen et ux to A.P. Sanders 278 acres Lick Branch 17 October 1907 p. 369-370
Lewis and Malinda Nelson to A.E. Wagner 15 acres on West Side of Guyan River 4 December 1906 D.F. Smith, JP
Wesley Nelson to A.E. Wagner 23 acres 21 March 1906 p. 57-58
Floyd Rakes to Georgie E. Staley 50 acres on Fourteen Mile Creek (Laurel Hill District) 28 July 1892 p. 79-80
John W. Runyans to Canaan Adkins 66 2/3 acres (interest in 200 acres) West Fork and Guyandotte River 6 February 1889 p. 248
F.D. Stallings et ux to Abijah Workman 100 acre interest on Francis Creek 15 March 1899 p.7-8
Russell S. Stollings et ux to William D. Farley 35 acres Little Harts Creek and Francis Fork of Twelve Pole 24 March 1900 Isaac Fry, JP p. 298-299
Ralph and Anna Steel to William R. Duty 73 3/4 acres 14 August 1903 p. 112-113
B.C. Toney to Bradford Toney 20 acres and 80 acres Big Ugly 20 February 1884 -. 239-240
Moses B. Toney et al to Allen Brumfield 10 June 1892 p. 422-423
Wirt Toney et al to Bradford Toney 140 acres Guyandotte River 1 April 1887 p. 244-245
O.J. Wilkinson, Commissioner of School Lands, to J.H. Meek, trustee 25 acres Ranger School West Side Guyandotte River 20 December 1909 p. 207
F.B. Wilson to John D. Shelton 105 acres Sand Creek Jerry Lambert, NP 1 October 1908 p. 36-37
J.R. Wilson to J.A. Holley Timber on Bobbies Branch 15 November 1899 p. 155
Abijah Workman to Nancy Workman 30 acres Francis Creek 17 January 1900 Rufus Pack, NP p. 9
David Workman to Brad Toney 140 acres 20 October 1891 p. 237-238
NOTE: I copied all of these deeds.
Admiral S. Fry, Andrew D. Robinson, Andrew Robinson, Appalachia, Big Branch, Bill Fowler, Chapmanville, Confederate Army, Dicy Roberts, Elias Adkins, Francis Fork, G.S. Fry, general store, Green Shoal, Harts, Harts Creek, Harts Creek District, Henry H. Hardesty, Henry S. Godby, history, Hollena Brumfield, Isham Roberts, Jack Johnson, James P. Mullins, Joseph Workman, Marsh Fork, Martha Jane Brumfield, merchant, Milt Haley, Paris Brumfield, Sallie Dingess, Sand Lick Run, teacher, Thomas H. Buckley, timber, West Fork
The town of Harts — originally named Hart’s Creek — was established at the mouth of Big Harts Creek in the summer or fall of 1870 when Henry S. Godby, a peg-legged Confederate veteran from Chapmanville, petitioned the government for the creation of a post office called “Hart’s Creek.” At that time, Green Shoal was the most thriving spot in the Harts section of the Guyandotte River. A.S. Fry was its chief businessman and postmaster. Godby’s effort to establish Harts as a postal town was a short-lived venture. By 1876, Green Shoal still reigned supreme in local affairs. According to a business directory, it could boast a gristmill, free school and a Baptist and Methodist church. T.H. Buckley and G.S. Fry were physicians, while Joseph Workman was a clergyman.
Around that time, in 1876, Bill Fowler — a local general storekeeper — petitioned the government for the creation of a “Hearts Creek” post office and established his business headquarters at Harts. Fowler had migrated to the area in 1847 and married a daughter of Elias Adkins, an early settler. After a short stint as a schoolteacher in 1871, Fowler was by 1876 a general storekeeper and owner of some 30 acres of land on the Marsh Fork of West Fork. In March of 1877, he became postmaster of “Hearts Creek;” he was also a saloon keeper according to oral tradition. As his business interest generated profits (primarily in timber), he extended his land holdings. In 1878, he purchased 75 acres on the Guyan River from Abner Vance, valued at $5.00 per acre. The following year, he added a 90-acre tract to his estate on the west side of the Guyan River, valued at $3.25 per acre, which he purchased from brothers-in-law, Aaron and Enos Adkins.
Throughout the period, Fowler was unquestionably the chief businessman in Harts. Curiously, Andrew D. Robinson replaced him as postmaster of Hearts Creek in 1879. Robinson was a Union veteran and former township clerk, justice of the peace, and secretary of the district board of education. He was a brother-in-law to Ben Adams, as well as Sallie Dingess (Hollena Brumfield’s mother). In 1881, Robinson shortened the name of the Hearts Creek post office to “Hart.”
The Green Shoal area, meanwhile, fell into a state of decline as a local economic center. A.S. Fry gave up his postmaster position in 1878. He maintained his local business interests well into the next decade, then turned them over to his son George and left to pursue a hotel business in Guyandotte, a town situated at the mouth of the river in Cabell County. The Green Shoal post office was discontinued in 1879.
By 1880 — roughly the time that Milt Haley came to Harts from “over the mountain” — Harts reigned supreme as the hub of local business affairs. In that year, according to census records, the population of the Harts Creek District was 1,116. There were 1,095 white residents, fifteen blacks and six mulattos. 93-percent of locals were born in Virginia or West Virginia, while six percent were born in Kentucky. Most men worked at farming, although A.S. Fry and Paris Brumfield both had stores. In 1882-1883, Brumfield was listed in a state business directory as a distiller.
At that time, Bill Fowler was the undisputed kingpin of the local business scene. According to Hardesty’s History of Lincoln County, published around 1884, Fowler owned 200 acres of land at the mouth of Harts Creek and 254 acres on Mud River. He also owned 200 acres on Sand Lick Run, a branch of Francis Fork, based on land records at the Lincoln County Courthouse. “That situated on Hart creek produces well,” Hardesty wrote, “and has a good orchard and a part is heavily timbered with oak, poplar and pine; coal and iron ore are quite abundant.” Fowler was the father of four small children, recently born to his second wife.
There were other notable business folks in the neighborhood, namely Isham Roberts, who operated a store near Fowler on the Guyandotte River. He was the son of Dicy Roberts and the stepson of Jack Johnson, a local farmer. In the early 1880s, he married Martha Jane Brumfield, a daughter of Paris Brumfield, and opened a store on rental property at the mouth of Harts Creek. By 1884, when Hardesty wrote his history of the county, he referred to Roberts as “a prosperous young merchant in Hart Creek district, having his headquarters on Guyan river, at the mouth of Big Hart creek. His prices are the most reasonable and the business very extensive.” Roberts was the postmaster at Harts from 1883 until 1884, when Dr. T.H. Buckley replaced him.
James P. Mullins, who operated a general store building above Roberts at Big Branch, was also a budding merchant. By 1882, Mullins was the owner of a $200 storebuilding situated on a 203-acre tract of land. Over the next few years, he added another 55 acres on lower Harts Creek and 150 acres on Francis Fork (this latter tract likely acquired for timbering purposes). Hardesty referred to Mullins as being “of good business qualifications and prosperously engaged in merchandising, with business headquarters on Hart creek, one and one-half miles from its mouth.” In that year, Mullins purchased an additional 93 acres on Harts Creek. One year later, the value of his store building increased by $100, hinting at his growing prosperity.
This site is dedicated to the collection, preservation, and promotion of history and culture in Appalachia.
Genealogy and History in North Carolina and Beyond
A site about one of the most beautiful, interesting, tallented, outrageous and colorful personalities of the 20th Century
For Readers, Writers, and Lovers of Historical Fiction