From the Huntington (WV) Advertiser of February 5, 1887 comes this bit of history about Dusenberry’s Dam:
The dwellers along the banks of the Guyandotte River from its mouth to the headwaters, together with many others who are interested in the navigation of that stream, will be pleased to know that it is soon to be cleared of all obstructions. Major Post, the Chief Engineer, and Capt. Hugh Toney, his assistant, in charge of the Government improvement on Guyandotte River, have made a contract with the Messrs. Rodgers to clear the river of all obstructions from Barboursville up for a considerable distance. By this contract the Dusenberry mill dam, which has been the chief obstacle to the free navigation of the river and the cause of immense loss to timber dealers and others, will be removed.
After its removal, with such a stage of water as we now have, steamboats will be enabled to ascend to within a few miles of Logan C.H. This will be of immense importance to the city of Huntington, as it opens a fertile region, which has in a great measure been cut off by this dam and forced to go to Charleston. A line of steamboats will, no doubt, enter the trade between this city and Logan C.H. as soon as the river is clear.
At the point where the Dusenberry dam is located was established as one of the first grist mills in all this region of country. About the year 1818 or 1820, the Legislature of Virginia passed an act allowing a mill dam four feet high to be built across the river at that point, and since that time the obstruction has remained.
Capt. Toney has been untiring in his efforts to secure the removal of this bar to the free navigation of Guyan, but not until a few days ago was he able to effect the arrangement which will result in opening the stream.
The merchants and business men of Huntington should now be on the look out for the trade up this river and use all proper means to bring it here.